Wednesday, November 22, 2006

OK, I'm on the hiking path now

It took me long enough, didn't it? Must've put the adorable button on my weblog page WEEKS ago, but last night was the first time I finally got down to the job and cast on for my own Irish Hiking Scarf. Here is the journey so far.



It's the Celtic Braid pattern from one of the Harmony Stitch Guides; it takes 25 stitches, so I used it twice with a tiny panel of 3 st st in the centre, a purl either side of each pattern panel, and two edge stitches, making 59 in all. Size 5 needles (Colonial Rosewood, absolutely and faraway my favourites - I get them from Warm Threads.

The yarn is that scrumptious blend of 50/50 cashmere and silk which I occasionally sell on eBay. It looks like grey string on the cone, and smells like the foulest manure heap when you wash it, but after that behaves like the thorough aristocrat it is. It will be beautifully silky and warm around the neck without the slightest risk of itchiness or overheating.

OK, so I know we're supposed to follow the original pattern but it didn't seem very challenging, and I wanted to try out the Celtic Braid so that's what I did.

How long are y'all making your scarves? Much as I'm enjoying the Celtic Braid (can see where it's going now, so don't have to keep that springy Harmony Guide weighted down at the right page any more), the spirit fails at the thought of endless yards of the same. Maybe I could follow the style in the One Skein book and make a rather elegantly short one, pinned on the shoulder with a small wooden knitting needle?

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Jo
http://celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

3 Comments:

Blogger prairiegirl said...

Jo,

I love the braided cables! They're beautiful! I am doing the original Irish Hiking Scarf and I've only done about 6 inches so far. Too bad I don't know anyone with a teeny tiny neck. It's too small even for the cat, maybe the goldfish?

Unfortunately, it's become my "when I don't have anything better to knit" project. That way I don't get too bored with it. Don't get me wrong. I really, really love the finished product that everyone has made, it's just apparently I have a very short attention span!

Wed Nov 22, 01:47:00 PM CST  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

That is just gorgeous!

Fri Nov 24, 01:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Prairiegirl, I feel the same way about knitting scarves. I find if I leave it somewhere handy, and then pick it up for a row or two, it moves along. And I try to take it with me in the car when I know I'm likely to be doing some waiting around.

But I agree, the worst thing about scarves is their length of sameness!

Sun Nov 26, 11:07:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home