Thursday, December 21, 2006

Irish hiking scarf and wrist warmers


This is my second Irish hiking scarf. I modified the pattern slightly by using "uneven cables" which I found in Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns. Instead of putting 3 stitches on a cable needle and knitting the next 3 before knitting the 3 from the cable needle, you put 2 stitches on the cable needle and knit the next 4. I like the way these cables turn out, and they're a bit easier to do. I went with a 6-row repeat, as opposed to the 8-row cables in the Hello Yarn pattern.

The finished scarf is about 60" long. The ends don't fan out much because I did the first cable row on the third row (as opposed to row 8). Likewise I ended the scarf 2 rows after the last cable row.


I improvised a matching pair of wrist warmers. They're 36 stitches around (3 repeats of the 12-stitch cable pattern). I started at the arm, and after 22 rounds began increasing for the thumb gusset. I increased 2 stitches every other round until there were 42 stitches. In round 35 I bound off 8 stitches at the thumb, and in round 36 I cast on 2 stitches to complete the circle. After another 10 rounds, I bound off.


For more details, visit my blog.

Irish hiking scarf
Started: Beginning of November
Finished: End of November
Pattern: From Hello Yarn
Yarn: Bernat Satin, Sterling, 3 skeins (used very little of the 3rd skein)
Needles: US 8 Addi Turbos

Irish hiking wrist warmers
Started: Beginning of December
Finished: Dec. 9
Pattern: My own
Yarn: Bernat Satin, less than 1 skein
Needles: US 8 dpns

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

What a great modification to the pattern! Your scarf and mitts look great.

Mon Dec 25, 06:06:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home